Problem when using retain object identity on Import

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM
Hi There,

We are new to Moss and we are trying to move a site collection from our test server into production. We would like to be able to retain the guids if possible. I am able to do a clean export of the web application (no erros in log) but when I copy this to another server (a dev one at this stage) and do the import with retain object identity specidfied it crashes everytime with a Sharepoint exception saying the specified name is already in use. The error in the log is:

2/29/2008 11:53:02 AM: Progress: Importing List User Information List.
2/29/2008 11:53:04 AM: Progress: Importing List Web Part Gallery.
2/29/2008 11:53:06 AM: Progress: Importing List Site Template Gallery.
2/29/2008 11:53:07 AM: Progress: Importing List Cache Profiles.
2/29/2008 11:53:07 AM: FatalError: The specified name is already in use.

A list, survey, discussion board, or document library cannot have the same name as another list, survey, discussion board, or document library in this Web site. Use your browser's Back button, and type a new name.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.CreateListOnImport(String bstrUrl, Guid& pguidListId, String bstrTitle, String bstrDescription, Int32 lTemplateID, String bstrFeatureId, Guid guidRootFolderId, Int64 llFlags, Int32 iVersion, Int32 iAuthor, String bstrFields, String bstrContentTypes, String bstrImageUrl, String bstrEventSinkAssembly, String bstrEventSinkClass, String bstrEventSinkData, Guid guidDocTemplateId, String bstrViews, String bstrForms, Boolean bCompressedSchema)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ListSerializer.CreateList(SPWeb parentWeb, Dictionary`2 listMetaData, Boolean usingPublicSchema)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ListSerializer.SetObjectData(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context, ISurrogateSelector selector)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.ParseObject(Type objectType, Boolean isChildObject)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.DeserializeObject(Type objectType, Boolean isChildObject, DeploymentObject envelope)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ObjectSerializer.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ImportObjectManager.ProcessObject(XmlReader xmlReader)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPImport.DeserializeObjects()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPImport.Run()
2/29/2008 11:53:07 AM: Progress: Import Completed.
2/29/2008 11:53:07 AM: Finish Time: 2/29/2008 11:53:07 AM.
2/29/2008 11:53:07 AM: Completed with 0 warnings.
2/29/2008 11:53:07 AM: Completed with 1 errors.

An import without the retain object identiy is successful (with a few warnings) and the site is created. I downloaded your new beta 2.0 version but get the same result. Can you help?

Belinda Olds
Apr 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM
Hi Belinda,

I got the same issue. Did you resolve the problem?

Daniel Zientek
Apr 7, 2008 at 7:06 PM
I am getting the same error. Any updates?
Apr 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2008 at 12:37 PM
I'm seeing the same thing. Anyone have a solution for this?

Update: 4/10/2008: I was able to fix this problem by following the advice from Chris's blog post:
http://www.sharepointnutsandbolts.com/2008/04/recipe-for-successful-use-of-content.html

Specifically, I created an empty SharePoint site to import into, instead of a "blank" site:
stsadm -o createsite -url ... -ownerlogin ... -owneremail

I re-ran the import (with GUIDs retained) and it worked perfectly. Thanks Chris!

-Ed