The file <> cannot be imported because its parent web <> does not exist

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:24 PM
hi,

i am trying to import list across different domains, these lists(ActionPlanFlowCharts) are in subsite called "/Test" on the source machine.

i first went ahead and created a export cmp file without any problems, created a subsite called "/Test" on the destination server,
then i copied the file onto a destination server, then tried to run the import

and i am getting the following error. please advise...

[10/2/2008 6:32:01 PM]: Debug: Security check failed in OnFolderImport
[10/2/2008 6:32:01 PM]: Error: The file ActionPlanFlowCharts cannot be imported because its parent web /Test does not exist.
[10/2/2008 6:32:01 PM]: FatalError: The file ActionPlanFlowCharts cannot be imported because its parent web /Test does not exist.
Oct 6, 2008 at 3:56 PM
any updates please..?
Oct 9, 2008 at 9:33 AM
Hi Tarcot!

When you import and have the option "retain object identity" checked, parent element must already be in destination, and this parent element must have the same GUID as in source.
As you have manually created "/Test" subsite, its GUID is not the same as in target, even if their name is the same.

If having different GUIDs in target list is not a problem for you I suggest you to import without retaining object identity. This operation is called "reparenting".
I guess this is a one time operation, and you do not want to repeat it. If you repeat this import operation to get target list updated with new items from source you will get duplicated values.

Check this link from Stefan Grossner blog:
http://blogs.technet.com/stefan_gossner/archive/2007/10/12/deep-dive-into-the-sharepoint-content-deployment-and-migration-api-part-5.aspx
Problem 5: deploy partial content without exporting the parent items
Problem 1: Mixing deployments with and without retaining object identit

Hope this helps,
Joaquín.
Oct 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM
Thanks Joaquín for the response,
my list is having a self referential column which uses the parent record, so basically its something like a tree structure, so the parent id's is a must, also there are some eventlistners for ADD and UPDATE, which i have copied to the destination machine, i tried removing these eventlistners, but i get the same error, if the listners are installed or unintalled.
hope i have clarified why we need that "retain object identity"
is there a way that i can achieve this
thanks in advance
Oct 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM
Hi again,

Is this self reference done using GUIDs or just using ID column in the list?
If you are using ID, there sould be no problem not retaining object identity as IDs (not GUIDs) should be preserved. IDs are "normal" fields just as Title, ...
Is it so?

Regards,
Joaquín.
Sep 4, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Hello all. Yes I get this error and the checkbox "retain object IDs and location" is NOT checked.

What am I missing here. Hard to migrate if it needs the parent...

Ray

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Has anyone figured this out? I have the same problem