Command-line support!

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    This tool is fantastic.  I would just like to give a suggestion for it's next feature : Command-line support!  Being able to use the tool in scripts would complete the loop for automatic deployment.
Jan 27, 2009 at 7:17 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM
   I would just like to give a suggestion for it's second next feature : netstsadm (http://www.codeplex.com/netstsadm) support!  Being able to use the tool remotely would really complete the loop for automatic deployment.  ;)
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 7:39 AM
Thanks for the feature request. The good news is I'm about 80% complete on adding command-line support - this is in the form of a custom STSADM command, so if I've understood netstsadm correctly this would also mean it can be used remotely when the two are used together. Basically you supply an XML file detailing what you want to deploy, but the Wizard itself is used to generate this XML file.

Timeline for beta release is mid-late Feb. Hope you can wait that long.

Cheers,

Chris.
Jan 28, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Hi Chris,

Happy to hear you were already working on the command-line support!

Here is the first way to use netstsadm:
1 - Install the netstsadm service on the remote server.
2 - Replace your call to stsadm with netstsadm.  Example: Replace "stsadm -o enumssp -all" with "netstsadm -TargetURL http://[SharePoint]:[Port] -o enumssp -all" where [SharePoint] is the remote server and [Port] is the port of the netstsadm service (defined at service installation).  If the service is not anonymous, add the parameters TargetLogin (domain\username) and TargetPwd to specify valid credentials.

Here is the second way to use netstsadm:
1 - Install the netstsadm service on the remote server.
2 - Configure netstsadm by executing "netstsadm -config"; this will open the netstsadm XML config file.  Edit the XML config file TargetURL and TargetLogin/TargetPwd if necessary.
3 - Replace your call to stsadm with netstsadm.  Example: Replace "stsadm -o enumssp -all" with "netstsadm -o enumssp -all".

Regards,

François