FatalError when importing

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:24 AM
Edited Nov 3, 2009 at 1:44 AM

Using Beta 2.7 I recently exported all subsites, lists and libraries from a root site. I am now trying to import this content to the root of another site collection - same farm, different content DB.

No matter what options I select during import I am receiving the following error.

FatalError: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at COB.SharePoint.Utilities.DeploymentWizard.UI.frmContentDeployer.setImportStarted(ProgressBar prgBar, SPDeploymentEventArgs e, Object data)
   at COB.SharePoint.Utilities.DeploymentWizard.Core.WizardDeployment.import_Started(Object sender, SPDeploymentEventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPDeployment.OnStarted(SPDeploymentEventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPImport.Run()

I can't seem to find anything about this error. Any advice appreciated.

I tried the same operation using 1.1 RTM and received a far more detailed exception message. In short:

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: The specified name is already in use.

A list, survery, discussion board, or document library cannot have the same name as another...in this Web site. ... --> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x81020012): The specified file name is already in use.

In the past I'm sure any existing lists, libraries or documents have simply been overwritten. Am I wrong?

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM

@panoone,

That's *great* information - I appreciate you going back and trying the same thing with 1.1. This looks like a bug with 2.7 which means if something goes wrong, the real exception isn't getting reported.

In terms of actually solving your problem, there could be a few reasons:

  • The target site wasn't created from a blank/empty site
  • You're not on the latest patches (e.g. service pack, IU, CU) and so some of the Content Deployment bugs haven't been fixed
  • You selected 'Retain object IDs and locations' for an import object which is already present with a different ID (e.g. a list provisioned by a Feature - CD works better if CD puts this list there *the first time* rather than by activating a Feature, as both lists in different environments have the same ID)

HTH,

Chris.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:23 PM
chrisobrien wrote:

In terms of actually solving your problem, there could be a few reasons:

  • The target site wasn't created from a blank/empty site

Hi Chris, that's correct. I used a team site template with publishing enabled to match the source site.

Still not sure why this would break anything though. I thought the overwrite option would just replace any existing lists.

Is there any way you can force an overwrite? I tend to run into this problem quite a bit  - especially in situations where I really don't care about the destination lists, libraries or files I'm wanting to replace. :)

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2009 at 7:36 AM

@panoone,

Yes, I agree it would be nice to have such a checkbox. However we're down to SharePoint's Content Deployment API here which I have no control over unfortunately.

The only way (AFAIK) to not run into this is to create the destination site with a truly empty template in the first place (as per Microsoft's guidelines), and then select 'Retain object IDs and locations' to ensure the same GUIDs are always used. I talk about this in Recipe for successful use of Content Deployment Wizard.

Sorry if that's not the answer you were hoping for.

Chris.