Any Web Services for the Content Migration API?

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Hey, Chris!

You know, I don't think I've ever run across your stuff here before, if you can believe it.  It would have really helped me a few times in the past, for sure.  I'm curious: Is any of the Content Migration API exposed as a Web Service? (You know, that's become my "thing".)

M.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM

LOL, hey Marc :)

No, there are no OOTB web services which expose the Content Migration API unfortunately. It's a shame as I know there's demand for it - folks ask me if the Content Deployment Wizard can somehow be used remotely, and the answer is "sorry no". Just in case you're getting ideas, don't forget that the thing you'd have to deal with is transport of potentially large .cmp files over HTTP, so that they can be imported on the destination. Standard OOTB Content Deployment through Central Admin (as opposed to anything custom with the API) does do this of course, so I guess it's all possible. It just needs somebody good with web services ;)

I think a couple of migration tool vendors might provide such web services, not sure.

C.   

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:18 AM

I thought that was the answer.  The Copy Web Service just leaves a lot to be desired, so I figured I'd ask.  It amazes me that you can do a real copy of a document from one place to another cleanly with the Web Services in some way.  (The copy Web Service maintains a link between the copies that I've never been able to remove.)  I wasn't looking for a real deployment engine here - just a way to move content from one place to another in small chunks.

M.