Will this wizard help in our situation?

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I have a developer who has a sub-site that he wishes moved from one sharepoint server to another. When I do an export of the site and then an import of it, his data views no longer work. They are pointing to GUIDs which no longer exist, and so he has to go through all the pages, etc. and modify all the views to point to the new GUIDs. This defeats the purpose of working first on a dev server and then later migrating to production, since the site has to be modified to get it to work. And of course, once initially deployed, any event like this disables the site during the time of reparing all the views.

I've received several reccomendations to check out your tool. I am just hoping to ensure that this type of thing is covered before digging in deeper to the tool.

I suspect there are always some things that do not get handled by tools - hard coded URLs in links or data sources, for example. But will at least the views still work if I use this wizard?

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I was just reading in another blog article of the developer of this tool that the content deployment wizard works just like stsadm export/import. If that is the case, then I don't think this tool is going to help me. The stsadm export/import is actually something I've already tried, and the resulting site, after import, doesn't work - right off the bat, I see an error about a web part that doesn't work.

I've also tried using sharepoint designer's import site function - that at least created a site where the web part is displaying what it is supposed to. However, the imported site doesn't function properly - when I try to use it, I get strange errors from sharepoint about pages which have updated since I displayed them (even though I know they haven't really been changing).

The developer also tried creating a personal web package of the subsite and I imported that, and I ended up with the same problems that using SHD import -> site has.