Confused about how to import a list

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:11 PM

So I was able to easily export my MOSS 2007 Discussion Board list into a CMP file.  I'm a bit confused by the Import screen though.  Let's say my site URL is www.companysite.com/sites/testsite and I want to import this list into this subsite as a brand new list.  What do I enter in both the Site URL and the Import Web URL fields?  I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:29 AM

I am also having this issue. I don't understand how importing is done on lists that are on the same site.

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:56 PM

You might skip using this tool and just save the list as a template then use the template to build the new list.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Hello mmfriederick,

But if I make this, using the list as a templete, when create my new build list all the documents create with my username "System Account" and lost the true item creator. Know how to resolve it? PowerShell?

Thanks in advance,

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I am having the same problem.  The Import function is not intuitive, and apparently no help file or documentation is provided.  Does anyone have the procedure for exporting a list or document library (with content) from "Site A" to a WSP, then importing it into "Site B" to recreate the list or document library?

Thanks up front...

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Edited Feb 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM

UPDATE -- Okay, I figured the procedure, and I've documented it below;

1. In the browser, open the source site that contains the list or library to be copied.
  2. Browse to the list or document library you want to copy to the target site.
  3. On the ribbon, click “Library Settings”, then click “Save document library as template”.
  4. Enter info and check the “Include Content” box, and click Ok (should get “operation successful), click Ok again.
  5. Go to “Site Actions”, “Site Settings”, “Galleries”, “List Templates” (should see the new template in the list).
  6. Check the box beside the template, then on the ribbon click “Download a Copy”, and save the STP file and save to a shared location.
  7. On the target system, open the SharePoint site you want to copy the library to.
  8. Go to “Site Actions”, “Site Settings”, “Galleries”, “List Templates” and click “Upload Document” and upload the STP file.
  9. Go to “Site Actions”, “View All Site Content”, “Create”, select the template and enter the desired library or list name.
  10. Click “More Options” to enter a library or list description, then click the “Create” button.

The list or library should be created (with content if selected in step 5 above).

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM
T38_Jet, I have save in local drive a infopath form as a list template in the test environment in sharepoint then uploaded to the production as a STP file & then tried to create a form as list using the list template, I am getting an error message, "Cannot complete this action". I just followed your documentation. Please help.
Mar 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM

pramanis -- The procedure I outlined above was for exporting and importing a document library or list *only*... it was not intended for copying InfoPath forms. 

I've never tried it before, but perhaps you could open both sites in separate SharePoint Designer 2010 windows, then drag and drop the form between sites.  I know this works for some types of objects.  I hope this helps.