Lookup field trouble after content deployment

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:56 AM
Edited Aug 15, 2008 at 8:03 AM
Hello all

I have a problem I have been trying to track down for a couple of days to no avail. I'm hoping any of you can help. It's a WSS site.
I am aware that this is probably an underlying problem in WSS and not Content Deployment Wizard, but this is probably the best place to find people who noticed this problem. Copy from here:
http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/8a276294-6fc6-46df-883d-e4cf792675d2 just in case the answer pops up there.

I am not yet a seasoned Sharepointer.

I have tried to do a content deployment of a simple site I have made. It was done entirely without code or CAML. I will give a simple example of what will fail.


If I make a site, a custom list named BlablaLookup, a site column named Lookuptest and then add the site column to a content type I can call CTtest. It inherits from "document".
Then I make a doclib and use that CT as the only one. I can then make a new word file using the "new" button and it works well. The Document Information Panel fills out the lookup list field.

I then export the content using "Content Deployment Wizard".

I make a new web application and create a blank site using stsadm -o createsite so that its truly empty.
I import using the retain object ID functionality.

Now if I try to make a new document it will fail miserably:

Error: "Document information panel contacted a data source but failed to receive data. The form will load without the requested data"

 ErrorMessage:

The query cannot be run for the following DataObject: list_8ab94089-4d3f-4cbe-9df1-bc14dee5563f

Document Information Panel cannot run the specified query.

The SOAP response indicates that an error occurred on the server:

 

Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.

<detail><errorstring xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/">The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)</errorstring></detail>


I am aware about object IDs being a problem with lookup lists, but using SharePoint Manager from CodePlex I can see that it actually uses the correct ListId, and WebId after the import.

What difference I saw on the lookup field before and after the import was the schemaXML for the field. Here it references the old webid in one place.

<Field Type="Lookup" DisplayName="Ekspedient" Required="TRUE" List="8ab94089-4d3f-4cbe-9df1-bc14dee5563f" WebId="936fac38-baed-4bc5-8525-178d5670413d" ShowField="Title" UnlimitedLengthInDocumentLibrary="FALSE" Group="BPT" ID="{9457722f-8c1b-48e1-be28-f4f1054dff9c}" SourceID="{6b19496b-1425-4afe-80af-bab477c39c19}" StaticName="Ekspedient" Name="Ekspedient" Version="1" Customization="" ColName="int1" RowOrdinal="0" />


Ignore the different names etc please :)
This is the old and incorrect webid:6b19496b-1425-4afe-80af-bab477c39c19

I dont know if this matters, but its the only difference I have seen.

I can try and make a new doclib on the imported site and use the "broken CT" and then I get another error:


Error:

The Document Information Panel was unable to load. The document will continue to open. For more information, contact your system administrator.

ErrorMessages:

Document Information Panel cannot create a new, blank form.

Document Information Panel cannot open the form. To fix this problem, contact your system administrator.

Form template: http://bptdev:11111/proppanel.xsn

The following DataObject either cannot be created or cannot be initialized: list_AF7999E1-9844-4751-9EE1-6B285B3E2588

Document Information Panel cannot add the following object to the DataObjects collection: list_AF7999E1-9844-4751-9EE1-6B285B3E2588

list_AF7999E1-9844-4751-9EE1-6B285B3E2588 could not be added to the DataObjects collection.

The following item already exists in the collection: list_AF7999E1-9844-4751-9EE1-6B285B3E2588



Sorry for the long question, but this problem is really hard for me to get rid of. This is probably a

Best Regards,
Thomas

Edit: Removed weird Word formatting from copy/paste
Nov 12, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I had the same issue with the document information panel. Basically, in the field schema, your listID and webID should be enclosed in brackets, like '{GUID}' and not just like 'GUID'.  The field schema you posted does not have them enclosed like they would be if you would have generated that lookup field through the Sharepoint UI. You can confirm this using Sharepoint Manager.

This thread helped me resolve the issue:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/2a4d6d10-d1d5-4d6a-a22b-62dfb6b60685/

Take a look at this thread also on MSDN:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointinfopath/thread/243b4852-3f17-4a3a-b6d7-187d65a5f088