CSS not carried over when exporting Layouts/UI only

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Hello,

I did a quick search but didn't see any discussions on this topic, so my apologies if its been covered.  I am running an export of the Master Page and Image Library (contains the site images used by CSS) of a WSS 3.0 site.  The exporter runs fine without any errors.  However, when I import the cmp file onto a new blank collection on a different VHD I notice that the CSS files are not being carried over.  A quick glance at the instructions say that dependencies like CSS are supported.  The work around is rather simple, I can just manually carry over the CSS files and stuff them into a _styles folder in SharePoint Designer and the site will work fine.  However, I would like to confirm that this is not supported.  The CSS file is linked into the master page as follows:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/_styles/allinDefault.css" />

I am throwing together a document for this process at work and before I state CSS files need to be moved outside of the Wizard I'd like to make sure this is true.   If there is an alternate set of steps to get this all in one export package I would be much obliged.

Cheers,

-SS

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2009 at 9:26 AM

@SS,

I'm pretty sure your CSS files aren't beng captured because you're not storing them "inside" SharePoint. The "/_styles/" path you're using looks like a path on the server filesystem rather than within the SharePoint content database - SharePoint Content Deployment (and hence my Wizard) only deals with items inside the database. Any files on the filesystem which are referenced need to be transferred separately - typical way to do this would be a solution package (.wsp). Conversely if your CSS files were referenced within the Style Library for example, I'd then expect them to then be captured by Content Deployment as they are then stored in the db.

HTH,

Chris.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Thanks Chris,

I'll give it a go Monday and see if I can get it all exported into the cmp file.

Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers,

-SS