Rejected Items

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:23 AM

I've been using the Content Deployment Wizard with a lot of success to push content from my authoring -> production (read-only) internet-facing environment.  I've run into a problem with one particular scenario, and I'm wondering if this is an issue with the app, or something in the way I have things configured...

I have a custom SharePoint list with versioning & content approval turned on.  I create a record in the authoring farm, and approve it.  The Content Deployment Wizard picks up this change and deploys the item out to my production farm.  The item then shows up on my public-facing internet site.  Works perfectly.  But now I want to pull that particular item down from my public-facing site, without deleting it.  So I change its status to rejected in the authoring environment.  Content Deployment Wizard runs, and it still exists as approved in the production farm.

Is there any way around this?  I would like to be able to reject items in my authoring environment without deleting them so that they no longer show up in production, but are available for me to turn back on at a later time.

Thanks,
Chris

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Hi Chris,

Seems to be a perfectly valid scenario, I'm surprised you've run into this. One of the things which makes me think it's very valid, is that this is exactly what happens in OOTB content deployment for pages in publishing sites (with separate authoring/production farms) - since my Wizard just uses SharePoint's CD API, effectively I'm just passing instructions along and SharePoint handles the rest.

Could it be one of the old bugs in content deployment? What service pack/cumulative update level are you at with source and destination?

Thanks,

Chris. 

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Hi Chris,

Yeah this scenario actually surprised me when I ran into it - completely unexpected.  Temporarily, I have to have the users delete items they don't want to show up in production anymore vs. marking them as rejected.  Not a great solution, as they like seeing the rejected items in the list so they can easily flip them back to approved when they are valid for publishing again.

Both my source & destination are at version 12.0.0.6332 - SP1 + IU + Oct '08 CU.  Do you know if there have been updates made to CD since then that would resolve this issue, and if so, what version those updates were released in?

Thanks,
Chris

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2010 at 10:25 PM

It's possible that an update is needed, but I'm not sure. The only way to really find out would be try and replicate on say, an SP2 farm. Unfortunately this is completely in Microsoft's stuff and I have no control, so can't really help you out I'm afraid.

If I were you I'd raise a PSS call and ask Microsoft. I'm completely sure it's a bug rather than the expected behaviour.

Hope you get sorted..

Chris.